Keeping regular contact with the SOPH student administrators and your lecturers is one of the keys to success when studying at a distance. There is a list of all our numbers at the end of the Programme Handbook. The administrative staff (Ms Corinne Carolissen and Ms Janine Kader) are the main interface between you, the UWC and the SOPH co-ordinating most administrative aspects of the Progamme.
- School of Public Health (switchboard): Ms Ntombomzi Buzani: (+27) 21 959 2809
- School of Public Health (fax number): +27 21 959 2872
Save time by contacting the right person straight away!
One of the imperatives of distance learning is contacting SOPH staff when you need them. Many students find the shift to distance learning difficult because they cannot reach lecturers when they need to discuss something. It is important to recognise that this is a two way relationship: you need to be strategic and make sure your needs are heard. You are encouraged to contact any of us when you need help. You will find our home and mobile numbers at the back of this Handbook. You may call lecturers after hours at home before 20h30 and not earlier than 08h00. Successful students are usually those who ask for help when they need it.
Try to save time and cost by contacting the right person straight away. Please take note of the SOPH staff members below who play important co-ordination and support roles within the academic programme.
Remember that SOPH academic staff, like you are busy people, and research takes them out of the office regularly, so if you do not reach your lecturer on the office telephone number, follow these tips:
- Don’t leave queries to the last minute before a deadline.
- Use the country code when dialing.
- Call the SOPH receptionist at 021 959 2809 and ask to be put through to the lecturer.
- Text or call the lecturer’s mobile. Don’t forget to identify who you are and to leave your number slowly and clearly indicating which country you are calling from.
- Leave a clear message and contact time on the lecturer’s mobile phone.
- Leave a message with the Student Administrators (021 959 2166 or 021 959 2591) asking your lecturer to phone you back.
- Send an e-mail to the lecturer. ● If repeatedly unable to reach your lecturer, contact your Programme Co-ordinator.
- Don’t give up!
You also need to do your part by familiarising yourself with the contents of this Handbook. The Student Administrators are there to answer queries which are not answered by this Handbook!
Get to know the SOPH staff who are involved with the Postgraduate Programme
Please note that all academic staff members are involved in supervising mini-theses. As we have not included photographs in the Handbook, take a look at the photos on our website http://www.uwcsoph.co.za/index.php/about/staff.