The MPH aims to equip health professionals to:
- Quantify and prioritise health needs;
- Design, implement and evaluate Comprehensive Primary Health Care Programmes;
- Manage District Health Systems.
The Programme is designed for a range of health and welfare professionals and managers from middle to senior level, at district, provincial or national levels, staff of NGO’s and academic research contexts. The Programme may be taken over two to three years.
The Programme is made up of eight coursework modules, six compulsory components (which includes two research methodology modules) and two electives and a mini-thesis.
An Honours Degree, Postgraduate Diploma in Public Health or or its equivalent at level 8 in any relevant discipline, and three years working experience in the health or welfare sector. In exceptional cases, five years relevant experience assessed by the university through a Recognition of Prior Learning (RPL) process may be considered for admission (as per Rule A2.1.4).
Information for SOPH Applicants 2019
The application process consists of 3 main parts:
1. Online application. All documents must be handed in as evidence for eligibility.
2. SOPH Student Data Form: This form asks you for additional details for your SOPH Postgraduate Programme application, in addition to your online application
3. Application Task: The application task consists of two parts, a motivation and a writing task.
Online Application: Apply online through the UWC website https://www.uwc.ac.za/Students/Admin/Pages/Apply-Online.aspx. See Prospective Students on Home Page of the UWC website: Please make sure you complete ‘all’ fields to avoid delays in processing your application. Applicants for next year will not have to pay an application fee.
Once you have made the online application, the SOPH Student Data Form and the Application Task will be emailed to you. Please make sure your correct email address is included in your online application.
Please view Programme Handbook 2018 for more information.